We believe strongly that we should support our young people in stepping out into the world and include them in the life of the wider community.
Schools and Colleges
Our young people access primary, secondary and college provision according to readiness and need:
- Two KS1 pupils who needed more social stimulus have accessed playtimes weekly with infant classes
- Older pupils have delivered performances and storytelling sessions to infant classes
- A Y11 pupil has undertaken extended work experience one day a week
Wooldale Jnr and Holme Jnr & Inf School
· Wooldale and Lydgate have collaborated as a joint singing and signing choir for Christmas, with Lydgate pupils teaching the Wooldale pupils how to sign.
· The two schools also collaborated as a joint folk dancing ensemble, delivering a performance of Bretton dancing at Holmfirth Festival of Folk. This year we will produce a performance of dance with Holme Junior and Infant School at the Festival.
· Over the last few years some of our more able pupils from Lydgate have accessed a variety of provision at Holmfirth High School
- One boy attended Science lessons at KS4 and gained a GCSE in Science
- Several boys accessed PE lessons
- This year a group of 7 pupils are accessing Design and Technology at KS4
· We also take pupils from secondary schools who are struggling to engage fully with mainstream: 2 pupils last year came to us from different schools for half a day; one eventually joined us while another re-engaged with mainstream.
· Three pupils have been fully re-integrated into mainstream provision from Lydgate either in Middle or Secondary School
We work well with colleges and have moved three very able pupils into part-time provision there in Y11 over the last few years, as well as providing transition visits for other Y11 pupils.
Activities Beyond School
We work very hard to connect our young people to a rich variety of activities out of school, in the evenings, holidays and at weekends:
- Duke of Edinburgh
- Central Stars
- Up Club
- Riding for the Disabled
- Compass Bridge
- Phoenix Centre Youth Club
We are very successful at this. Sometimes we use some of these to provide some alternative provision for difficult to engage young people as well as some vocational providers:
- The Chestnut Centre
- Engage Green Spaces
- Construction Academy
Joint Community Activities
As a school we like to participate in a wide variety of community events! Examples include:
- We have taken part in Holmfirth’s Festival of Folk over many years
- We have also taken part in community projects over many years with Sharing Memories, working with older residents and other groups
- We hold a Christingle Service
We pride ourselves that the opportunities given to our young people through work experience are outstanding. We offer a two week block for most students in Year 10. The less able pupils are offered a placement more tailored to their needs, which might be 1 day a week or 1 week, in an appropriate setting. We also offer Extended Work Experience through Year 11 for some students. Settings include:
- Ponderosa Animal Centre
- Infant Schools
- Pre-school Nurseries
- Garden Centres
- WAVES Special Needs Provision
- PMLD Schools
- Charity Shops