Community and Creative Partnerships
Partnerships raise aspirations and provide an excellent contribution to raising standards at Lydgate. The school works with many local groups who contribute to the rich and challenging variety of the curriculum. Examples include:
- We have good links with Kirkroyds Infants and Wooldale Juniors with whom we share site, sharing a choir, using the schools for extended work placements to enhance our curriculum, sharing structured play with identified young people who need this additionality
- Similarly we have strong links with Holmfirth High and have allowed pupils from there to access our provision for set periods in the week, have sent individual pupils and groups from here to access their provision (eg PE, GCSE Science and DT)
- We have a good partnership with our nearest PMLD school who have provided Headteacher Mentoring, hydrotherapy for pupils with physical needs, support for training and development especially in AAC and communication
- Sharing Memories – whose projects involve the elderly working with our pupils and sometimes an additional group, like those suffering mental health issues, on a community project
- Huddersfield Town football coaches who work with our gifted and talented footballers
- The Soccer Academy who explore literacy and numeracy through football
- Open Minds Theatre Company who work to develop disciplined drama skills and explore creative and active learning throughout school, as well as producing some great shows!
- The Pennine Sports Partnership who teach, develop teacher’s PE skills, develop curriculum, develop cross school competitive opportunities and set up schemes in school like Playleader training and cycling
- The Duke of Edinburgh Scheme – the preparation for the bronze award is delivered in school
- Holmfirth Festival of Folk have involved our pupils in some wonderful public performances working with mainstream schools, and delivers workshops here during its folk week
- We have built up a wide range of work experience partners to give us the capacity to offer highly personalised opportunities to our young people, and our young people also do a number of Industry visits
- COMPACT do some excellent Enterprise Days and we also work closely with Kirklees and Calderdale Careers
- We have worked to put in place and develop a Complex Needs Post-16 provision with Ravenshall School
- We have excellent and comprehensive transition planning and arrangements in place to support our young people and their parents as they leave us, working with a wide range of Post-16 providers (PMLD, Complex Needs, Colleges).